Surplus Sales Operation Status During COVID
The Surplus Sales Warehouse will be open by appointment ONLY Monday, Wednesday, and Friday from 1:00 pm - 3:30 pm. To schedule an appointment please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call the office at (858)534-2844. All customers will be required to wear a face-covering and adhere to a symptom screening prior to entering the warehouse.
The UC San Diego Surplus Store serves as an outlet to re-utilize, liquidate, recycle and dispose of excess and decommissioned university property. Surplus Sales also offers recycling services to UC Departments for various metals, electronics, video monitors, and refrigeration equipment.
Available Surplus items are listed by category, sale type, and description. The items can be viewed and purchased at the Surplus warehouse Monday – Friday 8 am-4:30 pm. The Surplus warehouse is located at 7835 Trade St. San Diego Ca, 92121 Behind Ste. 100 (Northeast corner of the building).
Public Sales are conducted in several ways:
- Outright Sale: Customers can visit, inspect, and purchase the Surplus items immediately.
- Monthly Bid: These items are listed on the website with a closing time of 2 pm PT on the last Wednesday of each month.
- Third-Party Bid: These items are listed on third-party websites for additional exposure. Bidders would need to visit the third party site to submit a bid on these items. Closing dates and times on these items will be listed on each item. All successful bidders will be notified via email.
Bidders are encouraged to physically view and inspect the equipment prior to the bid closing, if possible. All property is sold “ AS-IS, WHERE-IS” and the successful bidder will be responsible for payment and removal of the awarded LOTS within (7) days of notification.
Public Sales Payment Methods & Tax
Payment can be made by Cash, Cashier’s Check, Credit/Debit Card, Money Order, or Traveler’s Check. California sales tax will be applied to public sales unless the reseller’s permit documentation is provided. Please note that there is NO warranty on any of the equipment sold at the Surplus Sales store and that all sales are FINAL. The University does guarantee that it holds legal title to any equipment being sold at the store.
Department buyers do not use the bid process.UC San Diego Departments can purchase items from the Surplus Sales store using department funds. Pricing will be set at the current bid price or the reserve price, whichever is higher. However, Federal Funds CANNOT be used to purchase items from the Surplus Sales store. To order items, click on the “ Internal Customer” button, complete the Internal Transfer Request and a Surplus representative will contact you regarding your request.
Departments are encouraged to physically view and inspect items before purchasing. Delivery is available for UC San Diego departmental purchases; please contact Surplus for an estimate.
UC San Diego employees may purchase items from Surplus Sales for personal use. However, there are exceptions:
- UC San Diego employees who determined the property was excess and requested that it be transferred to Surplus Sales, or near relatives of those employees, may NOT purchase the item excessed.
- Employees that report to or near relatives of the UC San Diego Equipment Administrator and Surplus Administrator may NOT purchase any items.
A "near relative" includes a spouse, mother, father, child, or sibling, and step-relatives or in-laws in the same relationships.
Sending Excess Material to Surplus Sales
University-owned material can be sent to Surplus Sales by completing a Surplus Transfer Request in the Campus Asset Management (CAMS) application. Each department has assigned Department Equipment Custodians (DEC) and Department Equipment Administrators (DEA) that are registered to use the CAMS application. Health System and Medical Center Surplus Transfer Requests (STR) are initiated by contacting Pam Evans (email@example.com). For questions or issues regarding the CAMS application please contact Jaime Wheat at UC San Diego Equipment Management (858-534-6163). When completing these forms, please note the following:
- Be sure all UC identification numbers are listed.
- Make the equipment list as complete as possible - this helps us plan workload and truck capacities.
- List a contact person, phone number, building, and room number.
- Computers and data storage media require cleansing verification labels. Ensure that computer hard drives and other data storage media containing sensitive data have been cleansed. Affix verification labels to the items before removal by Surplus Sales.
- Lab equipment may require EH&S clearance, before moving- please contact EH&S at 858-534-2753 if there are any questions.
Once the STR is completed and approved by the DEC, the Surplus scheduler will contact the Department regarding the pickup date and time frame.
Large loads of furniture or equipment may require contracted movers at additional expense. For step-by-step instructions, see how to send equipment and non-inventorial property to Surplus Sales. The department will receive 55% of the proceeds for any of their items sold for $150 or more.